My Dog Ate Lip Gloss – Worries And What To Do

Ahh, dogs. Our faithful buddies and loyal best friends. They bring us joy, laughter, and unconditional love. But as any dog owner knows, dogs can do all sorts of naughty things they shouldn’t do. 

Like getting into human foods or other things that can be hazardous to their health.

Unfortunately, it happens all too easily.  So, dog owners need to know what to do if (and when) their pup gets into something they shouldn’t.

What if you catch your dog eating lip gloss? The quick and easy answer is that the type and brand of lip gloss your dog ate and whether he also ate the lip gloss container will determine what you need to do and the dangers your dog faces.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Lip Gloss

First step: Don’t panic!

Now that we have that under control, here’s a rundown of what to do if your dog eats lip gloss.  This will help make sure your good boy’s safety and your peace of mind.

Assess The Situation

Check the ingredients of the lip gloss to determine if it contains any substances that could be harmful to your dog. Ingredients like xylitol, certain essential oils, or other toxic substances can pose a risk to your dog’s health.

Call For Help

If you’re unsure about the lip gloss’s toxicity or have any concerns, it’s important to get proper advice. Reach out to the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888)426-4435 (note that there may be a consultation fee) or your local animal poison control center for guidance.

Have the brand and ingredients of the lip gloss handy. This information will help the experts quickly assess the risk to your dog’s well-being.

Keep An Eye On Your Dog

Usually, the lip gloss will pass through your dog’s digestive system in a few days without complications. Keep an eye on your pooch for any signs of discomfort or unusual behavior. 

You’ll want to watch for things like swelling of the abdomen, change in stools, lethargy, vomiting, or any other concerning symptoms.

Contact Your Vet

If you see any of the warning signs, you should act quickly. Contact your veterinarian to explain the situation and go to the pet emergency room if advised to do so. Depending on your dog’s symptoms, he may require medical treatment to properly address his situation.

Prevent Future Incidents

To avoid similar mishaps in the future, make sure all makeup and cosmetic products, including lip gloss, are stored securely and out of your dog’s reach.

This will not only protect your beloved dog but also your favorite beauty essentials!

Is Lip Gloss Toxic to Dogs?

Lip gloss might not seem dangerous, but it can be toxic to dogs depending on the ingredients.

To emphasize what I said above: If your dog eats your lip gloss, it’s best to check the ingredients and if necessary call your local animal poison control or the ASPCA poison control if you’re unsure about potential dangers.

While small amounts of lip gloss aren’t likely to cause serious problems in a healthy dog, it’s wise to err on the side of caution.

If your dog manages to devour several containers of lip gloss, the large quantity of non-food substances alone could make your pup sick.

Colorings and fragrances in lip gloss may cause complications when ingested in large quantities. So if your dog ate a large quantity of lip gloss – even if it is not toxic – you may still want to seek professional medical advice from a veterinarian.

It’s worth noting that if your dog has a consistent habit of eating lip gloss, or anything that isn’t meant for dogs to eat, it might lead to long-term health issues over time.

Other Problems For Dogs Who Ate Lip Gloss

Unfortunately, even if the lip gloss your pooch ate isn’t toxic, lip gloss can cause digestive issues. The ingredients in lip gloss can be difficult for a dog’s digestive system to break down, leading to stomach upset, vomiting, and diarrhea.

If your dog swallowed a tube of lip gloss, it can cause a blockage and lead to a life-threatening situation. Symptoms of intestinal blockages include vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation, and abdominal pain.

If a dog ingests lip gloss, it is important to monitor them for any signs of digestive distress. If your dog has any symptoms or you want peace of mind, take your dog to the vet as soon as possible – or at least give your vet a call.

Can Dogs Pass Lip Gloss?

One common concern for dog owners is whether their good boy will be able to safely pass whatever it is he just got into.

When it comes to lip gloss, you can breathe a sigh of relief because the answer is: Yes! Your pup should have minimal issues passing the lip gloss itself.

However, consuming the lip gloss container could still pose a risk to your dog’s health. The main thing to worry about is the possibility of gastrointestinal blockage.

Just like with any foreign material that your pet might swallow, it’s essential to be aware of the warning signs mentioned above.

If you observe any unusual symptoms in your lovable canine, contact your veterinarian immediately to ensure his well-being.

Wrapping It Up: My Dog Ate My Lip Gloss!

If your dog eats lip gloss, check the ingredients to determine if it contains any hazardous substances, and call a local animal poison control if you’re unsure.

Monitor your pup for any signs of discomfort and contact your vet if necessary. Store lip glosses securely out of reach to avoid future incidents.

Fortunately, dogs can usually pass lip gloss without issues but do be aware of any signs of gastrointestinal blockage.

Similar Posts