My Dog Ate Spackle! 3 Worries And What To Do!

Dogs bring a lot of smiles and laughter to our lives, whether it’s at home or even in the office.

They are the ultimate companions, always up for a game of fetch or a cozy snuggle on the couch.

But sometimes, even the best-behaved dogs can have their moments of mischief. Part of being a responsible dog owner is knowing when your dog is in a bad situation and when to step in if they do something that could put their safety at risk.

And, as a dog owner, you may encounter situations where your curious canine friend gets her paws on something she shouldn’t have!

Spackle, a common household item used for wall repairs, can be one such item.

But don’t panic – I’m here to guide you through the right course of action if your dog eats spackle.

What Could Happen if Your Dog Ate Spackle?

As a dog owner, it’s normal to worry when your dog gets into something she shouldn’t have. If your dog has ingested some spackle, here’s a brief overview of what could happen if your dog eats spackle.

Don’t worry, we’ll delve deeper into these issues later on in the article.

  1. Choking: First and foremost, there’s a chance your dog could choke on the spackle. Keep an eye on her to ensure she’s breathing normally and not coughing as she breathes or in any other immediate distress.
  2. Internal Blockage: Another possibility is that the spackle could cause an internal blockage in your dog’s digestive system. This can be quite serious and may require surgical attention if it doesn’t resolve on its own.
  3. Poisoning: Some spackle products contain ethylene glycol, the same ingredient that makes antifreeze so harmful to dogs. Although it’s unlikely that your dog ate enough spackle for the ethylene glycol to be deadly, it’s still important to be cautious. Ethylene glycol poisoning can be quite dangerous, even if consumed in smaller amounts.
  4. Passing Without Problems: Lastly, there’s also a chance that your dog’s system will process the spackle with no issues at all. Keep a close eye on his behavior and bowel movements for any signs of trouble.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Spackle?

First, I want you to know that we’ve all been there – our furry friends get into something they shouldn’t, even if we’re super diligent.

So, don’t beat yourself up if your dog just got into some spackle.

Make Your Dog Drop It

First things first, try to minimize the damage. If you catch your dog in the act, use her training to get her to stop.

Commands like ‘no’, ‘leave it’, and ‘drop it’ come in handy in situations like these.

Check The Label

You’re probably aware that dogs and humans have a lot in common, including how our bodies handle many toxic things.

So, take a look at the label of the spackle.

If it says it’s toxic for humans, it’s likely toxic for your dog as well.

Keep An Eye Out For Signs Of Distress

Let’s go over some of the more major signs to keep an eye out for.

I do want to emphasize that you know your dog better than anyone, so pay attention to any changes in your dog’s normal behavior.

And because I can’t list every sign of distress your dog might exhibit if she eats spackle, you need to be on alert for any changes in her normal behavior.

If your good girl starts acting strange give your vet a call.

Watch For Symptoms Of Poisoning

While it’s unlikely that your dog consumed enough spackle for the ethylene glycol to be lethal, you still don’t want to gamble with her health.

Remember, ethylene glycol is highly toxic for dogs.

Keep a close eye on your dog for any of the following signs:

  • Acting as if she is inebriated or uncoordinated
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drinking and urination
  • A swollen and painful abdomen

Be Alert For Signs Of Blockage

Eating spackle may result in a blockage in your dog’s digestive system. If this happens, she will likely exhibit symptoms such as:

  • A tender abdomen
  • Constipation or difficulty passing stools
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting

Should You Induce Vomiting or Provide Extra Food or Water?

You may be wondering if inducing vomiting or encouraging your dog to drink more water or eat more food could help when she eats spackle.

Although these approaches might seem helpful, they could also cause additional problems. The best course of action will depend on your dog’s specific situation.

So, what should you do?

If you’re at the point that you think you need to be medically intervening then first, you need to contact your veterinarian or animal poison control for personalized advice.

They will consider your dog’s size, the amount of spackle ingested, and other factors to determine the best approach to keep her safe and healthy.

Be Prepared for Possible Expenses

Unfortunately, the aftermath of your dog eating spackle might involve a visit to the vet, which could potentially be expensive.

In some cases, surgery may even be necessary.

It’s best (for your wallet and your dog’s health) to promptly address the situation and be prepared to spend some money to ensure your dog’s well-being.

Is Spackle Toxic To Dogs?

Yes, as I previously talked about, spackle contains ethylene glycol.

Ethylene glycol is harmful to dogs and can cause serious health issues. However, spackle typically contains just a small amount of ethylene glycol and it’s unlikely your dog will consume enough to have lethal consequences.

That being said, your dog could still experience significant side effects if she ingests spackle.

Will Dogs Pass Spackle?

In most cases, yes!

But whether or not your dog will pass the spackle depends on a few factors.

First and foremost: luck does have a role to play in this situation. While I don’t want to undermine your sense of control, it’s important to know that luck will indeed play a part in shaping the outcome.

Another important factor is the amount of spackle your dog consumed and her size.

Larger dogs may find it easier to pass spackle, whereas smaller dogs might struggle more with digestion and potential blockages.

Why Do Dogs Eat Spackle?

Surprisingly, the simple answer is that spackle tastes good to dogs.

Although it’s obviously not something you want them to eat, their curious nature and taste buds lead them to eat many things (especially as puppies!) around the house they shouldn’t, including spackle.

Final Thoughts: What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Spackle?

If your dog ate spackle, acting promptly and correctly is critical.

First, stop your dog from eating more if you catch her in the act.

Next, check the spackle label – if it’s toxic to humans, it’s likely toxic to dogs.

Monitor your dog for signs of distress and symptoms of poisoning or blockage.

While inducing vomiting or feeding more food or water might seem like a good idea, it’s best to get professional advice before taking any such steps.

Although the ethylene glycol in spackle is harmful, in most cases, dogs won’t ingest enough for fatal consequences. However, your dog could still get very ill from it.

Smaller dogs may struggle more with digestion and potential blockages.

If it comes to a point where medical intervention is necessary, be prepared for potential expenses.

Lastly, remember that dogs are attracted to the taste of spackle – it’s not out of the ordinary for them to try and eat it.

As always, vigilance and prompt action are key to ensuring your pet’s health and safety.

Similar Posts