My Dog Ate Glitter! (3 Worries And What To Do)

It’s no secret that having a dog in the family brings tons of fun and joy! Sure, there may be some hiccups along the way – like making sure your kids don’t sneak your dogs human food…or try to share their toys! 

Being aware of what dogs want, what they can actually have, and what they will try to eat even though they shouldn’t is par for the course when you have a dog, especially a puppy!

As responsible pet owners, it’s important to be ready to learn what we need to in order to keep our furry friends stay safe while they explore their world. Like figuring out what sorts of human foods or objects can pose risks to your good boy, and how best to respond if something dangerous does happen.

For sure, dog parents know that it’s always nice to rest assured knowing your pooch is happy & healthy as he frolics about cheering everyone up in the house!

So, what about dogs that get into glitter? What should you do if your dog ate glitter? The most important thing is to not panic. However, you should be aware of the potential medical concerns your dog might face. And you should know how to respond to them if your dog does eat glitter; whether your dog has an intestinal blockage, is poisoned, or passes the glitter without problems. Below, I’ll look at the potential consequences your dog might face from gulping down a pile of glitter and how to handle them. 

Will A Dog That Ate Glitter Be Okay?

Remember when I said that you shouldn’t panic? That’s because for the most part, as long as your dog is healthy and didn’t consume a large amount of glitter, he’ll likely be okay in the end.

The type of glitter and how much glitter your dog ate will be the primary factors that determine whether or not your dog will need medical assistance and if he will be okay.

What To Watch Out For If Your Dog Eats Glitter

When a dog eats something that is not a food item he might be confronted with the following problems:

  • Choking
  • Toxicity
  • Gastrointestinal blockage
  • Internal Bleeding (from both punctures and/or scratches)
  • Upset Stomach

Choking And Toxicity

Fortunately, your dog isn’t likely to choke on glitter. Though, it’s probably a good idea for you to check to see what the glitter your dog ate is made of to make sure it isn’t toxic to dogs in the quantity he ate. 

Most glitters in the amount a dog would normally consume (one time) are probably okay, however, glitters are often paired with things (makeup or glue) that can be toxic to dogs so please check your glitter to be sure.

Gastrointestinal Blockage

While your dog likely won’t face an intestinal blockage from consuming glitter, it is wise to keep an eye on your dog until he passes the glitter, just in case. 

Keep an eye out for these signs of a blockage:

  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of Appetite

Unfortunately, if your dog does suffer from a GI block, he’ll likely need veterinary intervention.

Internal Bleeding

Depending on what the glitter is made of and how big it is, it could scratch (and even puncture – though that’s unlikely) your dog as his body processes it. This can lead to your dog suffering from something as simple as a minor irritation to much more serious problems. 

As with the other problems that glitter could cause your dog, it’s a good idea to keep a watchful eye over your good boy and call the vet if he seems to take a turn for the worse. 

Upset Stomach

Luckily, an upset stomach is probably the most common problem a dog who ate glitter will face. And while an upset stomach isn’t normally good news…compared to some of the other possible consequences a dog could face from eating glitter it is!

Just like you would any other time your dog is sick, comfort him, and make sure he doesn’t need a vet. If you suspect your dog is suffering or otherwise won’t quickly get over his glitter-induced belly ache, call your vet for personalized advice.

Keep in mind that while the upset stomach is likely temporary, and only caused by your dog’s system passing something foreign, the symptoms could also be a sign of scratches or punctures.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Glitter?

Watch your dog for any signs of discomfort. Do this until your dog successfully passes the glitter or a few days have gone by without problems.

Inducing vomiting might be something you should do, however, I can’t recommend it without you first consulting your vet. 

There are just too many unique variables (health of your dog, how much glitter he ate, what else was with the glitter, etc.) that will determine whether inducing vomiting is the right course of action. 

Can Dogs Eat Edible Glitter?

As long as your dog is healthy, then some edible glitter probably won’t hurt him. It’s usually mainly made up of sugar, food coloring, and other edible things. However, do be aware that edible glitter is not something you should purposely be giving your dog because ideally, he shouldn’t eat it at all.

So, while some edible glitter probably won’t hurt your good boy, (truly edible glitter – keep reading to see what I’m talking about) eating too much of it or eating it too frequently can be bad news for your dog.

Also, keep in mind that not all ‘edible’ glitter is actually all that edible for humans. Instead, it’s often okay for humans to consume in small quantities. For more information check out what the FDA has to say about it. 

Is Glitter Toxic To Dogs?

Most glitter, by itself, isn’t toxic to dogs (especially in small quantities), however, sometimes glitter is in or on something (like makeup or glue) that is toxic to dogs. Always be sure to examine all the ingredients of any nonfood item your dog ingests just to be sure there is nothing toxic in it to your good boy.

Can Dogs Pass Glitter?

Most likely your dog will pass glitter without problems. However, please keep in mind the possible dangers that I went over.

If your dog is showing any signs of suffering from poisoning, internal bleeding, or GI blockage please consult your vet immediately. 

Summary: My Dog Ate Glitter

It’s not ideal for your dog to eat glitter, but it can happen. The good news is that most of the time he will pass it without any major issues and be just fine. However, if you suspect your dog has eaten something toxic or could have internal bleeding from eating glitter then please consult a vet immediately.

I hope I’ve been able to provide some useful and actionable information about what might happen and what to do if your pooch eats glitter.

And I also hope that your dog passes the glitter without problems and never stops being the lovable fuzz ball that he is.

Similar Posts