My Dog Ate A Pen [Worries And What To Do]

We all love our dogs, but sometimes they do things that make us scratch our heads. From growling at nothing to their obsession with fire hydrants.

One common issue (especially when your dog is still a puppy!) dog owners face is when their dog eats something unexpected – like a pen!

It can be alarming and worrisome when you realize your pup has gotten into some mischief and eaten something definitely wasn’t meant for canine consumption.

Unfortunately, it happens more often than one would think and can lead to some potential health risks if not properly taken care of right away.

Is It Dangerous For Dogs To Eat Pens?

It sure can be! As a dog owner, it’s important to be aware of the potential problems your beloved pooch might face if she munches on a pen. Some of the key concerns include:

  • Punctures and Lacerations: Depending on how the pen broke when your dog was chomping on it your pup can get cuts and punctures in her digestive system. These can be painful and even life-threatening if not treated quickly.
  • Intestinal Blockage: Another potentially deadly scenario would be if the pen gets stuck in your pup’s stomach or intestines and causes a blockage. This can lead to serious health problems as well.
  • Ink Poisoning: While not as likely, and usually not as serious (see below) this is another potential danger your dog faces if she eats a pen.

Are Ink Pens Toxic For Dogs To Eat?

Luckily, the ink in most pens isn’t life-threateningly toxic for dogs. Although your pup could still experience mouth and stomach irritation from the ink, it’s not usually deadly.

In the case that your dog gets her paws on a pen with toxic ink, she’d likely need to ingest more ink than what a normal pen contains to experience severe consequences. While eating an ink pen isn’t exactly beneficial for your dog, consuming a single regular pen probably won’t be toxic.

However, it’s important to consider specific factors such as your dog’s size and the type of pen. A smaller dog eating an entire pen may have a higher likelihood of encountering problems compared to a larger dog who just nibbles on part of it.

Some specialty pens designed for art or other tasks might contain ink that could be harmful to your furry friend. If your dog manages to eat one of these, make sure to check the ink’s safety and toxicity levels.

Can Dogs Pass Pens?

Typically, dogs can pass pens without any significant issues. However, keeping in mind the dangers mentioned above, it’s best not to assume that your dog will pass the pen she swiped from your desk without any problems.

Stay alert and pay attention to your dog’s well-being, especially after unusual incidents like ingesting a pen.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats A Pen?

Keep an eye on your furry friend if you caught her eating a pen. It’s very important to watch her closely for any signs of distress or health issues.

Observe Your Dog For Signs Of A Blockage And Signs Of Ink Poisoning

You’ll want to pay close attention to your dog’s behavior and physical condition. Check for symptoms of punctures and lacerations, blockages, or ink poisoning, as these can be serious issues that need immediate attention.

Keep an eye out for the following signs:

  • Pain in the abdominal area
  • Low or no appetite
  • General discomfort
  • Whimpering and whining
  • Vomiting

Make Sure Your Dog Isn’t Acting Strange

It’s important to make sure that your dog isn’t exhibiting unusual behavior after her pen-eating mishap. Many of the signs for lacerations, blockages and ink poisoning are similar, so make it a point to keep a close watch on your dog and her normal habits in the days following the incident.

Call Your Vet If Your Dog Is In Discomfort or Acts Odd

If you notice any symptoms or changes in your dog’s behavior, consult with your vet right away. Your dog may require surgery or other medical intervention, depending on the severity of the issue.

Final Thoughts: Will My Dog Be Okay If He Ate A Pen?

We all love our dogs and while it can be alarming when they get into mischief, most of the time their curiosity is harmless.

Eating a pen may not seem like a big deal, but there are potential risks involved such as punctures and lacerations in the digestive tract, intestinal blockage or ink poisoning.

Fortunately, most regular pens don’t contain life-threatening levels of toxic ink so it’s likely that your dog will be okay, at least on that front.

To make sure this is the case however, you should keep an eye on her behavior for any signs of distress or discomfort and contact your vet right away to seek medical attention if needed.

All in all, with proper care and attentiveness on your part, chances are good that everything will turn out just fine!

Similar Posts