My Dog Ate Dryer Lint! Worries And What To Do

Dryer lint is one of those pesky household items that can easily be forgotten about. If you forget to clean it out it can make your dryer take forever and even pose a fire risk.

Then if you do remember to clean it out, you, like many dog owners, need to make sure your good boy doesn’t get into it. Some dogs will eat anything!

Dryer lint can pose a serious health risk to your pooch but fortunately, that’s a rarity. I’ll quickly go over why dryer lint can be dangerous for dogs, and what signs to watch out for if you think your pup has eaten some.

Will My Dog Be Okay?

First, the good news: Your dog will probably be okay after eating dryer lint!

The size of your good boy, how much lint he ate, and what was in the lint will all determine whether or not your dog will be just fine or not. 

Remember, strings and other things that make their way into lint can be a bigger risk than the lint itself.

The main worry for a dog that has eaten lint is an intestinal blockage, which can be very dangerous. In fact, if left untreated, a blockage can lead to serious health complications and even death.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Dryer Lint?

If your dog has eaten dryer lint, stay calm and watch him for signs that he isn’t feeling well.

Make sure he has water available and consider feeding him soft dog food to help pass the lint.

Keep an eye on your pooch for a few days to make sure there is no blockage.

Specifically, watch for vomiting, lethargy, swelling, pain, unusual stools, constipation, and general discomfort.

If any red flags come up, contact your vet immediately so that they can assess whether your dog needs the attention of a professional.

It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our furry friends!

Why Do Dogs Eat Dryer Lint?

It is not uncommon for dogs to find and eat dryer lint. While this may seem strange, there are several reasons your good boy might be tempted.

It could be due to curiosity because, despite the saying, curiosity doesn’t just get cats in trouble!

Dogs may find the scent of laundry detergent or the texture of the lint to be interesting or attractive too.

Another possibility is that some dogs have a condition known as pica – a disorder in which they are compelled to eat non-food items; often due to nutrient deficiencies in their diet.

Conclusion: My Dog Got Into Lint

Dryer lint can pose a potential health risk to your pup, so it’s important to stay vigilant. As long as you keep an eye on him and contact your vet if any symptoms arise, you should be able to catch any issues quickly and prevent them from becoming serious.

Similar Posts