Dog Ate Cotton Makeup Pad: Worries And What To Do

Everyone who is or has been lucky enough to have a pet dog knows just how much they can improve your life. With their unique personalities, and unending loyalty, not to mention all the love they have to give, dogs are excellent additions to most households.

But let’s be honest – having a pet dog can be a pretty tumultuous experience too! Let’s not even go into the messes they leave around the house before you fully train them!

But more seriously, pet owners have to be vigilant when it comes to what their pup is ingesting because these rambunctious, curious animals seem to want to try a taste of everything.

This can present a challenge when our pup gets their mouth on something that definitely isn’t for consumption – like furniture or clothes – and can turn into a medical emergency if they actually attempt to swallow it.

But what about dogs that get into something much smaller like makeup pads? Your dog will likely be okay, but she could face some major medical problems depending on luck and a few other things.

Hopefully, this brief article will guide you in the right direction if your dog needs help, and put your mind at ease if she doesn’t.

What If My Dog Ate A Cotton Makeup Pad?

If you discovered your canine pal has eaten a cotton makeup pad then I have no doubt that you’re worried. So, what will happen?

The outcome largely depends on a few factors – such as the size of the cotton pad, whether it had any chemicals or makeup on it, and, of course, some good ol’ luck.

In most cases, your dog will likely pass the cotton makeup pad without any complications. However, there is a slight chance that your dog could run into some difficulties, some with potentially severe repercussions.

Can Dogs Pass Cotton Makeup Pads?

Chances are, if your dog has eaten a cotton makeup pad, she’ll most likely be just fine and pass it with ease. However, it’s important to keep in mind that smaller dogs that have ingested (relatively) larger makeup pads might experience more difficulties.

Problems Your Dog Could Face

As a loving dog owner, you probably want to know the potential health risks and problems your canine buddy could face after eating a makeup pad. Let’s check them out so you can more confidently keep an eye on your good girl.

Choking Hazard

While it may seem obvious, choking is a potential but unlikely problem your dog may encounter when swallowing a makeup pad. This might happen if the pad gets lodged in their throat, blocking the airway. Keep an eye on your dog’s behavior for any difficulty in breathing or signs of distress.

Chemical Issues

The chemicals on the makeup pad (especially a used makeup pad) could pose a risk, depending on whether it contains makeup, remover, or other products. If your dog eats a makeup pad with harmful chemicals, they could experience the following issues:

  • Irritation: Your dog may develop discomfort or redness around her mouth, throat, or other areas due to contact with irritants on the makeup pad.
  • Poisoning: Some makeup removers may contain toxic substances that can be harmful to your dog when ingested.
  • Vomiting: Ingesting chemicals from the makeup pad may upset your dog’s stomach and cause vomiting.

If you’re unsure about the ingredients of anything you used on the makeup pad, make sure to check the labels and call your local animal poison control center for guidance if needed.

Gastrointestinal Blockage

Gastrointestinal (GI) blockage is a painful and possibly deadly problem that may occur if the makeup pad becomes lodged in your dog’s digestive system, obstructing the normal movement of food and waste.

Until your dog passes the cotton pad, be vigilant about observing your pet for any symptoms of a GI blockage, which may include:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain or discomfort
  • Lethargy
  • Constipation or diarrhea

If you suspect that your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms after eating a makeup pad, seek veterinary attention immediately to ensure their safety.

By keeping an eye out for symptoms of choking, chemical issues, or GI blockage, you can take the necessary precautions to keep your furry friend healthy and happy.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate A Cotton Makeup Pad?

I just went over some complications your dog might face if she gets into your makeup pads. But first things first, don’t panic!

I’ve got you covered with some simple steps on how to keep your furry friend safe and sound.

  • Check the Ingredients: Determine what makeup or chemicals might be on the cotton pad your dog ingested. Depending on the specific product, some ingredients may be harmful to your dog. Look up the makeup item that came into contact with the pad and make note of any potentially toxic ingredients.
  • Call Your Vet or Animal Poison Control: With the ingredients list in hand, give your vet or local animal poison control a call. These experts will be able to inform you of any risks associated with the ingested ingredients and guide you on the best course of action. It’s a good habit to keep your local vet’s emergency number handy. If you don’t have a vet or a local poison control you can contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 (a consultation fee may apply).
  • Watch Your Dog for Signs of Distress: After speaking with the professionals, follow their advice. If you’re not asked to come in right away, your vet will probably want you to observe your dog closely for any behavioral or physical changes; things like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or difficulty breathing. If any of these or other symptoms you were directed to watch for present themselves, follow your vet’s advice.

Remember, while it can be alarming to see your dog ingest something unusual, it’s important to stay calm and follow these steps to ensure their safety. Your attentiveness can make all the difference in protecting your pup’s health and well-being.

Why Do Dogs Like To Eat Cotton Makeup Pads?

Have you ever wondered why your beloved canine companion munches on those cotton makeup pads or really anything that isn’t food or a tasty treat? Well, you’re not alone.

Check out some of the top reasons why dogs like to eat things (like cotton makeup pads!) that we would never even consider putting in our mouths.

  • Curiosity: Cats might have the reputation but dogs are also naturally curious; they love to explore and investigate their world. It’s quite possible that your pup simply wanted to investigate the cotton makeup pad and see what it was all about.
  • Smells like you: Scent dictates a lot of your dog’s instincts and reactions. Your good girl may have noticed that the cotton makeup pad smelled like you or someone else in the house. This is especially true if the makeup pad was used to remove or apply something you wear daily.
  • Smells good: Many makeup and cleaning products contain fragrances that can be appealing to dogs. They may have been drawn to the scent and decided to take a bite.

These are just a few of the possible reasons why your pup may have decided to snack on a cotton makeup pad.

It’s important to remember that dogs aren’t always the best at distinguishing between what’s safe to eat and what’s not; it’s up to us as pet owners to make sure that our best friends only eat safe, edible items.

Summary And Conclusion: Dog Ate Cotton Makeup Pad

It’s understandable to be concerned if your pup gets into your makeup stash and gulps down a cotton pad. Thankfully, your dog will likely pass the pad without a problem.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be diligent until you know the danger has passed. I’ve outlined some steps on how you can keep your pup safe and healthy in the event of such an occurrence.

First, determine what ingredients might be on the makeup pad that was ingested. Next, call your vet or local animal poison control center for advice. Finally, observe your dog for any signs of distress and follow the experts’ directions.

Similar Posts