My Dog Ate A Hair Tie (What To Watch For And Do)
There’s just something about dogs that makes people love them. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Fortunately for me, dogs have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.
When I was growing up, my family had dogs, and now I’m lucky enough to have two of my own. Duke and Bella are the two of the sweetest goofballs I’ve ever met.
Dogs need owners who will take care of them and provide for their needs. That means making sure they get enough exercise, proper nutrition, and plenty of love. It’s also important to pay attention to things that indicate something is wrong with your dog, and know what to do when something bad happens. For example, if your dog’s tongue is white (call the vet!) or cries when you hug your wife (it depends) understanding what is going on and knowing how to react is very important.
So, what about when a dog swallows something dangerous? What happens if my dog ate a hair tie? The quick and easy answer is: It’s crucial to keep a close eye on your dog because if your dog swallows a hair tie it can lead to major problems. But don’t panic! With some luck, your dog will pass the hair tie without much problem. Otherwise, your furry buddy might need some medical intervention to make sure he’s okay.
Can A Dog Die From Eating A Hair Tie?
If your dog eats a hair tie, the worst case scenario would be for him to die from eating the hair tie. The good news is that your veterinarian can perform medical procedures to save your dog. Though, with a little bit of luck, you will not even need those procedures.
Why Does My Dog Eat Hair Ties?
There are a few common reasons why your dog might chew on and even swallow hair ties. Dogs will chew on things as a way to explore their environment and learn about their surroundings. If your good boy finds something new, don’t be surprised if it is intriguing to him. And, obviously, what better way to check it out than to chew on it?
Other times, dogs may chew on hair ties because the smell of it reminds the pooch of his owner. Dogs have incredibly strong senses of smell which they use as a way to sort the world. A hair tie likely has the scent of his guardian and therefore seems like something worthy of a sniff, a lick, or even a chew and swallow.
Also, don’t put it past your good boy to accidentally swallow a hair tie when he’s simply playing with it. I think every dog we have had, especially when a puppy, would take random objects and throw them in the air and try to catch them as a game. If your dog is still learning what is and isn’t okay for him to play with, a hair tie probably looks like a fun toy!
What Will Happen If My Dog Eat A Hair Tie?
Let me start with this: Don’t panic. It’s highly unlikely that your dog will suffer any serious health consequences from eating a hair tie. In most cases, the hair tie will pass through your dog’s system without any problems. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
For starters, your dog could choke on the hair tie. If the hair tie becomes lodged in your dog’s throat, it could block his airway and make it difficult for him to breathe. If this happens and your dog is having problems breathing you’ll need to act right away.
More likely, however, you’ll hear your dog constantly trying to cough something up, in this case, it’s important to remain calm and call your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on what to do next.
The most dangerous possibility is that the hair tie could become stuck in your dog’s stomach or intestines. This could cause a puncture or blockage, both of which would require surgery to fix. If you notice that your dog is vomiting or having trouble passing stool, it’s important to call your vet right away as these could be signs that the hair tie is causing an obstruction.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats A Hair Tie?
While ingesting a hair tie is certainly not the most common reason your dog could become ill, it’s important to be aware of the possibility.
If your dog does eat a hair tie or any other foreign object for that matter, it’s important to keep a watchful eye over your good boy and take action if necessary.
If you notice your dog exhibiting any of the following signs, call your veterinarian immediately: lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dehydration, whining, constipation or painful poops, and a sore abdomen.
In most cases, your veterinarian will be able to give you personalized advice that will ensure your dog has a speedy recovery without any further complications. In some cases, however, your good boy could require serious medical intervention such as surgery.
How Do I Stop My Dog From Swallowing Hair Ties?
Preventing the opportunity and training your dog to understand commands goes a long way to keeping your good boy safe in many situations.
The best way to make sure your dog doesn’t ever swallow hair ties is to keep them away from him in the first place. Commands like ‘leave it’ and ‘drop it’ can help get your dog to relinquish whatever he has in his mouth.
Summary: Will My Dog Pass A Hair Tie?
Crazy things happen to the best of us. You’re getting ready for your big Zoom meeting with the boss. As you rush around, you quickly pull your hair back into a ponytail, planning on using that hair tie you see on the floor under your desk (don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone).
But then, just as you’re reaching for it, your dog decides to get on the fun too. And before you know it, he’s gulped the hair tie down. Now you’re wondering: what will happen if my dog eats a hair tie?
First things first: don’t panic. In most cases, the hair tie will pass through your dog’s system without any problems. However, there are a few complications that you should be aware of such as choking and potential blockages in your dog’s stomach or intestines.
If you notice that your dog is displaying signs like lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, or constipation then it’s important to call your veterinarian right away.
The best way to protect your pup from ingesting any foreign objects (such as hair ties) is prevention. Keeping items out of reach and training him to obey commands like ‘leave it’ and ‘drop it’ can help keep your good boy safe.