Can Dogs Eat Kielbasa?
Kielbasa (also known as Polish sausage) is a great addition to any meal. It is perfect for a quick and easy meal. Or kielbasa can be served with rice, potatoes, or vegetables for something fancier. It is also great party food and can be easily prepared ahead of time.
Have you ever been eating something you enjoy and know your dog would love a bite too? For me, kielbasa is the exact type of food I’d be tempted to share with both my lovable dogs. It’s packed with flavor that most dogs go crazy for it.
If you’re looking for a new treat to share with your pup you first need to know if that food is safe for dogs. After all, you’d hate to make your furry friend sick.
Some human foods are perfectly safe for dogs to eat, and even good for them. Other human foods, however, can be dangerous for dogs.
So, what about kielbasa? Can dogs eat kielbasa? The quick and easy answer is: Dogs cannot eat kielbasa. While not all kielbasa is toxic to dogs, depending on the seasonings it can be. And even when not toxic kielbasa simply isn’t a healthy treat for your good boy.
Why Can’t Dogs Eat Kielbasa?
Everything that makes kielbasa so yummy for us, is also why you shouldn’t give kielbasa to your dog.
Very High-Fat Content
Kielbasa is very high in fat. A 2-ounce (56 gram) serving of kielbasa has 15 grams of fat!
Yes, some fat is essential to your dog’s diet, but too much fat can lead to weight gain and obesity. Obesity puts your dog at risk for several health problems, including diabetes, joint problems, and respiratory difficulties.
In addition to the potential for weight gain, kielbasa’s high-fat content puts dogs at risk for pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a life-threatening and painful inflammation of the pancreas.
Too Much Sodium For Dogs
Kielbasa is also very high in sodium. That same 2-ounce serving of kielbasa (mentioned above) has 520 mg of sodium. That’s 22% of what is recommended for an adult human! And we’re much larger than dogs.
When dogs have too much sodium in their diet, it can lead to health problems like high blood pressure and heart problems. There are also short-term consequences to your dog having too much sodium such as dehydration.
Kielbasa Often Is Made With Garlic Powder
Garlic powder is a common ingredient used in many types of kielbasa. And as most dog owners know, garlic is toxic to dogs. Garlic can do a lot of harm to dogs by causing anemia and damaging red blood cells.
What If My Dog Eats Kielbasa?
If you tossed a bite of kielbasa to your dog without thinking about it and then discovered this article, you might be concerned you’ve hurt your best friend.
Don’t be overly alarmed. While kielbasa is bad for dogs, it usually takes a lot more than a bite or two to cause serious problems.
As with any food not meant for canine consumption, there is always the risk of an upset stomach or other digestive issues. If your dog ate kielbasa and vomited, that’s probably all that will happen, though you’ll still need to monitor him.
It takes more garlic than is in a few bites of kielbasa to do damage to most dogs. Unfortunately, some dogs are more prone to the toxic effects of garlic than others. So, keep an eye on your dog and make sure they aren’t being negatively impacted by the garlic or too much sodium.
If your dog ate a lot of kielbasa, however, there could be more serious consequences. You may wish to be on the safe side and call your veterinarian or local animal poison control for advice more tailored to your specific dog and situation.
Summary: Can Dogs Have Kielbasa?
Can dogs have kielbasa? In a word: No! Dogs should not be given kielbasa. There are 3 reasons you should not treat your dog to kielbasa:
- High-Fat Content: Kielbasa is high in fat which can lead to weight gain and obesity in dogs.
- Too Much Sodium: Kielbasa is also high in sodium which can cause health problems like high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is often used in kielbasa and garlic is toxic to dogs.
If your dog ate a little kielbasa, there’s probably no need to panic but you should keep an eye on them. If your pooch ate more than a little you may wish to contact your veterinarian with your concerns.