My Dog Ate Chapstick! Will She Be Okay?

Dogs…their endless energy and endearing goofiness, are such a great source of happiness and companionship. Their playful antics and curiosity can light up even the dullest moments and bring a smile to our faces.

It’s these heartwarming, and sometimes naughty, behaviors that make us fall head over heels for our furry friends.

But it’s also these behaviors that can make us sick with worry. Especially when your dog does something that probably (hopefully!) isn’t good for her.

In those moments, being a good dog owner means more than smiling and playing.

It means being alert and knowing what to do when your good girl gets into something she shouldn’t have – like Chapstick!

So, will dogs that ate Chapstick be okay? What should I do if my dog ate Chapstick? First, don’t panic, then assess the situation and don’t be afraid to call for help if you’re unsure, keep an eye on your dog for signs of medical distress and contact your vet if necessary, and finally prevent future incidents.

Don’t Panic

First thing is first: don’t panic!

Dogs are curious animals and occasionally get into things they shouldn’t.

Make sure to take a deep breath and stay calm. You’ll be better equipped to handle the situation if you remain levelheaded.

Assess The Situation

Check to see how much Chapstick your dog has eaten and whether she managed to chew up or even swallow the container as well.

Assessing the situation will give you a better understanding of any potential risks your dog might face. In most cases, a small amount of Chapstick shouldn’t pose an immediate threat to her health, but it’s still important to be cautious.

Call For Help

If you’re unsure about the potential danger posed by the specific Chapstick your good girl ate, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Call poison control or your veterinarian to discuss the specific Chapstick ingredients and ask for guidance on what steps to take next.

They can provide more personalized directions based on your dog’s size, breed, and overall health.

Keep A Watchful Eye On Your Dog

After assessing the situation, make sure to keep a close eye on your dog. Monitor her behavior and take note of any changes, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or unusual lethargy. These symptoms could indicate potential problems and may warrant immediate medical attention.

Contact Your Vet

Remember, you know your dog better than anyone else. So, if she starts acting like she’s not feeling well or if you notice any symptoms, don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian.

They will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your furry friend.

Prevent Future Problems

Finally, after the immediate threat to your dog’s health is over, work to avoid future mishaps!

Keep potentially problematic items out of your dog’s reach. Use dog-proof containers or store items in higher, inaccessible locations.

Also, consider engaging your dog in training exercises to curb her curiosity and discourage her from getting into things she shouldn’t.

Is Chapstick Poisonous To Dogs?

Okay, so your dog ate Chapstick and you have one nagging question on your mind. Is Chapstick toxic for dogs? Unfortunately, I can’t give you a straight yes or no answer, but the quick answer to ‘is Chapstick poisonous to dogs?’ is that it depends on the ingredients.

You see, Chapstick itself isn’t inherently toxic, but certain ingredients contained in it can pose risks to your pet’s health.

The danger depends on which ingredients were used and the amount ingested by your canine buddy.

Let’s take a look at some common ingredients in Chapstick that could potentially harm your dog:

  • Xylitol: This sugar substitute is highly toxic to dogs and can lead to life-threatening complications.
  • Essential Oils: While some essential oils might have therapeutic benefits for humans, they can cause irritation, upset bellies, or even toxicity in dogs if ingested in large quantities.
  • Sunscreen: Many Chapsticks include sunscreen ingredients for added lip protection, but these can be harmful to dogs if consumed. Again, the problem is usually more serious if your dog consumed a large amount.
  • Phenol: A chemical compound with a variety of uses, Phenol is sometimes an ingredient in Chapsticks. If ingested, it can be toxic to your dog.
  • Camphor: Another compound sometimes found in Chapsticks, camphor can be dangerous for dogs to ingest.

It’s important to note that not all of these ingredients are necessarily present in every type of Chapstick, and even if they are, they might not be in high enough concentrations to cause serious harm to your dog.

However, ingestion of these substances could still lead to some pretty unpleasant side effects, such as:

  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • General discomfort
  • And more

If your dog ate chapstick with one or more of these ingredients, calling your vet promptly is important, especially if your pup is showing signs of discomfort.

Your veterinarian can provide the most accurate guidance on how to help your dog avoid potential harm.

Other Medical Issues Your Dog Could Face

Poisoning is often the first thing to pop into peoples’ heads when their dogs eat something like Chapstick. Unfortunately, there are other issues you should also be aware of.

Intestinal Blockage

One thing to be aware of and watch for when your furry friend gets her paws on a Chapstick is the possibility of an intestinal blockage.

This can happen if she swallows the container, which might be too large or difficult for her digestive system to break down and pass through.

It’s important to keep an eye on her behavior after the incident and watch for signs like vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.

Laceration And Internal Bleeding

Sometimes, in the process of chewing on the Chapstick container, our four-legged pals will break it. This can create sharp edges that may cause lacerations in your dog’s mouth, throat, or even stomach.

Be sure to monitor her for any signs of distress, like excessive drooling or difficulty swallowing, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and other signs of discomfort.

Can Dogs Pass Chapstick?

The odds are in your dog’s favor, but don’t let your guard down.

Okay, so I just spent a lot of time talking about some truly bad things that can happen to your pooch if she eats Chapstick. The lucky thing is though, if she didn’t consume a lot of it, and is a decent size dog, she’ll probably pass the Chapstick, plastic tube and all.

That’s not to say she won’t experience some discomfort but, she likely won’t need medical intervention to get through it.
However, because of the possible severe consequences I went through, this doesn’t mean you should relax entirely, as we just discussed the possible risks associated with your dog eating Chapstick.

Wrapping It Up: My Dog Ate Chapstick!

If your dog ate Chapstick, remember to stay calm and assess the situation. Though Chapstick can be poisonous and cause medical issues for your beloved friend, she will likely be okay in the end.

However, don’t take this for granted – be vigilant and monitor her for signs of discomfort or medical problems.

Some common ingredients to watch out for include xylitol, essential oils, sunscreen, phenol, and camphor. These can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and other issues.

Intestinal blockage and lacerations are other potential risks your dog could suffer from if she eats Chapstick. So stay alert!

While your dog will likely pass the Chapstick, it’s essential to keep an eye on her and not let your guard down.

If you’re ever unsure or if your fur baby isn’t feeling well, don’t hesitate to contact your vet. By taking the necessary actions, you can make sure your good girl has a happy and healthy outcome.

Remember, your dog relies on you for her well-being, and in such emergencies, it’s your watchful care that will make all the difference. 

Similar Posts